Waterproof Temperature Sensor DS18B20
The Waterproof Temperature Sensor DS18B20 is the waterproof version of the DS18B20 sensor. Handy for when you need to measure something far away, or in wet conditions. While the sensor is rated up to 125°C the PVC jacket soften at around 80°C. Because they are digital, you don’t get any signal degradation even over long distances! These 1-wire digital temperature sensors are fairly precise (±0.5°C over much of the range) and can give up to 12 bits of precision from the onboard digital-to-analog converter. They work great with any microcontroller using a single digital pin, and you can even connect multiple ones to the same pin, each one has a unique 64-bit ID burned in at the factory to differentiate them. Usable with 3.0-5.0V systems.
We toss in a 4.7k resistor, which is required as a pullup from the DATA to VCC line when using the sensor. We don’t have a detailed tutorial up yet but you can get started by using the Dallas Temperature Control Arduino library which requires also the OneWire Library.
Note: Not for use in salt water or corrosive environments
- Stainless steel tube 6mm diameter by 30mm long
- Cable is 36″ long / 91cm, 4mm diameter
- Usable temperature range: -55 to 80°C (-67°F to +257°F)
- 9 to 12 bit selectable resolution
- Uses 1-Wire interface- requires only one digital pin for communication
- Unique 64 bit ID burned into chip
- Multiple sensors can share one pin
- ±0.5°C Accuracy from -10°C to +85°C
- Temperature-limit alarm system
- Query time is less than 750ms